Wednesday, 13 December 2017
Latest Issue

askthepharmacist

August 2017

Bites and Stings

Summer is here and being bitten or stung by an insect can be an unfortunate consequence of the good weather, although it usually causes no more than a small irritation.

However, for some people, being bitten or stung can lead to serious allergic reactions.

When an insect bites you, it makes a tiny hole in your skin so that it can reach your blood to feed on it. When you get stung, the insect punctures your skin and injects venom. As well as causing redness, pain and swelling to the area, this venom can cause a more severe allergic reaction in some people.

Sometimes a bite or sting can lead to complications such as an allergic reaction or infection. Insect bites and stings can become infected with bacteria. Instead of clearing up after a few days, the area around it becomes more red and sore, and pus may build up inside. Infected bites or stings may make you feel unwell with flu-like symptoms and swollen glands.

If you’re allergic to an insect’s saliva (for a bite) or the venom (for a sting) you may have a more serious reaction. The allergic reaction is usually around the area of the bite or sting, which may become more itchy or swollen. This is called a local reaction and usually clears up within a week.
Some people develop a severe, whole-body allergic reaction to bites or stings – most commonly bee or wasp stings – called anaphylaxis, or anaphylactic shock. This is a rare but potentially fatal condition.

Symptoms of anaphylaxis can include: itching and swelling all over the body, blocked or runny nose, swelling of the airways, dizziness, rapid pulse, sickness, vomiting and abdominal pains. Seek immediate medical help if anaphylaxis is suspected. Insect bites can be painful or itchy, but try not to scratch them as this can make the symptoms worse. Wash the affected area with soap and water and pat your skin dry.

Stings are typically painful and cause swelling of the skin, but aren't usually dangerous unless you're severely allergic to the venom. If you can see the sting, remove it as soon as possible. You can scrape it out with a fingernail or a credit card. Don't try to grab the sting between your fingers or with tweezers. This can cause the venom sac to squeeze its contents into your skin. Your pharmacist can recommend creams such as Anthisan® or HC 45® which can help reduce itching. Painkillers such as paracetamol can relieve some of the discomfort.

If the lump spreads beyond the original site, or itchiness is troublesome, antihistamine tablets can relieve the symptoms. Some antihistamines (such as Piriton™) may cause drowsiness. This can be an advantage at night when the itchiness might disturb your sleep. However, it can be dangerous if you need to drive or operate machinery. For this reason it’s often better to ask your pharmacist for a non-sedating antihistamine such as Clarityn™ or Zirtek™.

Always ask your pharmacist for advice and read the patient information leaflet that comes with your medicine.

Gordons Chemists is the largest independently owned retail pharmacy chain in Northern Ireland. Established in 1980, Gordons now has 60 pharmacies on the high street and in shopping centres across Northern Ireland and Scotland.

Products described are available at most pharmacies and Gordons Chemists does not endorse any individual product. Always consult your pharmacist in relation to your individual symptoms.

Your Comments

  • Ask The Pharmacist: Indigestion

    Overindulgence over the festive season is fairly common and can sometimes lead to indigestion, however it is rare in children and if suspected they should be seen by their GP to investigate further. More..

  • Ask The Pharmacist: Cold and Flu

    A cold is a mild, viral infection which usually affects the nose and throat. It is spread by droplets from sneezing, coughing, laughing or from contaminated surfaces and normally resolves itself. The More..

  • Ask The Pharmacist: Threadworms

    Threadworms are extremely common in school age children – it is estimated that up to 50 per cent of children less than 10 years of age may be infected. They are very easy to transmit from one child to More..

  • Ask The Pharmacist: CONJUNCTIVITIS

    Conjunctivitis is a common problem in children and, with so many kids having recently returned to school and nursery, don’t be surprised to find your kids waking up with sticky red eyes in the coming More..

  • Ask The Pharmacist: Headlice

    Head lice are tiny grey/brown, wingless insects and are the size of a pinhead when hatched and of a sesame seed when fully grown. Head lice are a common problem, particularly in school children who ar More..

  • Ask the Pharmacist: Hay Fever in Children

    Hay fever, also known as seasonal allergic rhinitis, usually begins in childhood or during the teenage years, but you can get it at any age. It occurs when someone has an allergic reaction to an airbo More..


Download boredom busting activity sheets here

Web design and development by Creative Online Media, Belfast. Copyright 2007-2008. All rights reserved.

This page is valid XHTML 1.0 Strict, CSS